Assam Current affairs : Pushkar Singh Dhami to be next Uttarakhand chief minister, We will discuss this topic on the daily Assam Current affairs season.
• Two-time MLA Pushkar Singh Dhami is all set to be the next chief minister of Uttarakhand.
• He will replace Tirath Singh Rawat, who resigned as Uttarakhand chief minister on Friday after holding the top post for less than four months.
Who can be a Chief Minister?
• After general election to the State Legislative Assembly, the political party or coalition group which secures majority in this House, elects its leader and communicates his name to the Governor. The Governor then formally appoints him as the Chief Minister and asks him to form his Council of Ministers.
• When no party gets a clear majority in the State Legislative Assembly, the Governor normally asks the leader of the single largest party to form the government in the state.
Tenure of a Chief Minister :
The Chief Minister holds office during the pleasure of the Governor. However, in actual practice the Chief Minister remains in office so long as he continues to be the leader of the majority in the State Legislative Assembly.
• The Governor can dismiss him in case he loses his majority support.
• The State Legislative Assembly can also remove him by passing a vote of no-confidence against him.
Powers and Functions of the Chief Minister :
• The Chief Minister is at the Head of the Council of Ministers of the state.
• The CM is the Leader of the House.
• All the policies are announced by The CM on the floor of the house.