Assam Current affairs : In today’s Assam Current affairs season we will discuss about the latest developments on Karbi Insurgent Groups.
• Assam Chief Minister Dr. Himanta Biswa Sarma said that a peace treaty will be signed with insurgent groups of Karbi Anglong district by next week.
• Addressing a media conference in New Delhi, the chief minister said that the issue was discussed with the home secretary and intelligence bureau (IB).
• The Government gave ‘go-ahead’ yesterday. The last round of talks with the insurgent groups is remaining. I hope, Karbi peace treaty will be signed any day next week,” Sarma said.
Karbi insurgency :
• Karbi insurgency has a long history in Assam. They have been involved in killings, ethnic violence, abductions, and taxation since the late 1980s.
• These outfits originated from a core demand of forming a separate state. Today, the Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council (KAAC) is an autonomous district council, protected under the Sixth Schedule of the Indian Constitution.