Assam Current affairs : In today’s daily Assam Current affairs season we will discuss about the addition of a new national park in Assam.
• The Forest and Environment Department of Assam has declared Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary as a National Park on 9 th of june 2021.
• With this Assam has now seven national parks and became the second state in the country to have the highest number of National Parks.
About Dehing patkai :
Dehing Patkai National park is located within the larger Dehing Patkai Elephant Reserve, which spreads across the coal- and oil-rich districts of Upper Assam (Dibrugarh and Tinsukia districts).
• The Dehing Patkai National park is also known as the Jeypore Rainforest.
• Dehing is the name of the river that flows through this forest and Patkai is the hill at the foot of which the national park lies.
• The oldest refinery of Asia in Digboi and ‘open cast’ coal mining at Lido are located near the National Park.
Fauna: Rare fauna found in the region include Chinese pangolin, flying fox, wild pig, sambar, barking deer, gaur, serow and Malayan giant squirrels.
• It is the only sanctuary in India which is home to seven different species of wild cats – tiger, leopard, clouded leopard, leopard cat, golden cat, jungle cat and marbled cat.
• Assamese macaque, a primate found in the forest, is in the red list of Near Threatened species.
• It has the highest concentration of the rare endangered White Winged Wood Duck.
Flora: Dehing Patkai is a deciduous rainforest interspersed with semi-evergreen and lush green flora.
List of National parks in Assam :
After the addition of Dehing Patkai Assam now have 7 national parks and becomes became the second state in the country to have the highest number of National Parks.
1) Dibru-Saikhowa National Park
2) Kaziranga National Park
3) Manas National Park
4) Nameri National Park
5) Rajiv Gandhi Orang National Park
6) Raimona National park
7) Dehing patkai national park