Assam current affairs July 2020 : Latest Current Affairs in July, 2020 about Assam. Letest news summaries and articles on current events about Assam for APSC,Assam Police, Banking, etc..
Assam current affairs 1 july 2020 :
Assam government prohibits use of spiked bits on horses
- The Assam government has banned the use of spiked bits or yokes with spikes on horses, by enforcing a prohibition under the cruelty provisions to the Drought and Pack Animals Rules, 1965.
- This order was issued recently by Assam’s Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Department Secretary Devajyoti Hazarika following a complaint by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA-India).
- PETA India had launched a nationwide campaign in 2019 based on the outcome of a multi-state survey of government efforts to impose a ban on using spiked bits on horses.
- Other states like Himachal Pradesh, Maharashtra, Bihar, Delhi, Karnataka, Telangana and Uttar Pradesh have already issued orders enforcing these prohibitions.
Assam current affairs 2 july 2020 :
Assam Govt decided to upgrade Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary into National Park
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal announced that the state government has decided to upgrade the Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary, which is home to a vast variety of flora and fauna, into a national park.
Important facts about Dihing patkai wildlife sanctuary
- Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary is located between the Dibrugarh and Tinsukia Districts of Assam and covers an area of 111.19 km square rainforest.
- It was declared a wildlife sanctuary in the year of 2004
- The Dehing Patkai forms the largest stretch of lowland rainforests in the entire india.
- The Dehing Patkai Wildlife Sanctuary and a part of Dehing Patkai Rainforest, due to their importance for elephant habitat, were declared as Dehing-Patkai Elephant Reserve under Project Elephant.
Assam current affairs 3 july 2020 :
Two new species of butterfly ‘Striped Hairstreak and Elusive Prince’ discoved in Arunachal Pradesh
- Lepidopterists have discovered two new species of butterfly, namely the Elusive Prince and Striped Hairstreak, in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The Striped Hairstreak, was first recorded by Japanese entomologists in Hainan province of mainland China. And the Elusive Prince, has a Vietnamese connection and was thought to be the more familiar Black Prince found in the Eastern Himalayas.
- The findings from Arunachal Pradesh indicate the rich biodiversity of the State. India now has over 1,327 species, up from 1,318 in 2015.
Indra Mani Pandey appointed India’s Permanent Representative to UN
- Indra Mani Pandey has been appointed as India’s next Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other international organisations in Geneva.
- Indra Mani Pandey, a 1990-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently serving as an additional secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).
- Before, Pandey served in Indian missions in Damascus, Cairo, Islamabad, Kabul, Muscat and Geneva.
Assam current affairs 4 july 2020 :
ICMR to launch 1st indigenous Covid vaccine by August 15
- The Indian council of Medical Research (ICMR) plans to launch indigenous vaccine for COVID-19 by August 15 after the completion of the clinical trials. It has selected 13 institutions across the country for clinical trials and asked them to initiate subject enrollment by July 7.
- ICMR Director General Balram Bhargava informed the selected institutions that it has partnered with Hyderabad-based Bharat Biotech International Limited (BBIL) to fast-track clinical trials of the indigenous COVID-19 vaccine (BBV152 COVID vaccine).
- The vaccine is being derived from a strain of SARS-CoV-2 isolated by ICMR-National Institute of Virology, Pune.
Assam current affairs 5 july 2020 :
PM launched the Digital India Aatma Nirbhar Bharat Innovate Challenge
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Digital India AatmaNirbhar Bharat Innovate Challenge to identify the best Indian apps, already being used by citizens and have the potential to scale up and become world class.
- The Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology along with the Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) have come up with this challenge, which will run in two tracks promotion of existing apps and development of new apps.
- For the promotion of existing apps and platforms across the categories of e-learning, work-from-home, gaming, business, entertainment, office utilities and social networking, the government will provide mentoring, hand-holding and support.
Assam current affairs 6 july 2020 :
Government of India declares Nagaland as “Disturbed Area” for six more months
- Union Govt declared the entire Nagaland as “disturbed area” for a further period of six months till December-end.
- The Home Ministry notified that the area comprising the whole Nagaland is in such a disturbed and dangerous condition that the use of armed forces in aid of the civil power is necessary. Therefore, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 3 of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (No.28 of 1958) the central government hereby declares that whole of the said State to be a ‘disturbed area’ for a period of six months with effect from 30th June, 2020 for the purpose of that Act.
- Nagaland has been under the coverage of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA) for almost six decades.
Assam current affairs 7 july 2020 :
Black Panther spotted in Karnataka’s Nagarhole Tiger Reserve
- A forest range officer (FRO) in Karnataka’s Nagarhole Tiger Reserve (NTR) spotted a black panther. About half a dozen of black panthers in Karnataka forests and one is in Nagarhole.
- NTR stretches between Kodagu district and Mysuru districts and was a protected reserve from the time of the Wodeyar dynasty, rulers of the erstwhile kingdom of Mysuru.
Assam current affairs 8 july 2020 :
World Bank provides $400 million to enhance support for Namami Gange
- The government of India and the World Bank signed a loan agreement of $400 million, to enhance support for the Namami Gange programme that seeks to rejuvenate the river Ganga.
- The Second National Ganga River Basin Project will help stem pollution in the iconic river and strengthen the management of the river basin which is home to more than 500 million people.
- The agreement comprises a loan of $381 million and a proposed guarantee of up to $19 million. The $381 million US Dollars variable spread loan has a maturity of 18.5 years including a grace period of 5 years.
- The World Bank has been supporting the indian government’s efforts since 2011 through the ongoing National Ganga River Basin Project, which helped set up the National Mission for Clean Ganga as the nodal agency to manage the river, and financed sewage treatment infrastructure in several riverside towns and cities.
- To ensure that these infrastructure assets function effectively and are well maintained, the project will build on the innovative Hybrid Annuity Model (HAM) of public private partnership introduced under the ongoing NGRBP, and which has become the solution of choice for sewage treatment investments in the Ganga Basin.
Assam current affairs 9 july 2020 :
Chhattisgarh becomes India’s first state to start e-Lok Adalats
- The Chhattisgarh High Court and the Chhattisgarh State Legal Services Authority organized the India’s first ever E-Lok Adalat amid the Covid-19 lockdown.
- About 195 benches were constituted at different places of the state, including areas like Sarguja,Surajpur, Bastar, Kankar etc., via video conferencing and 3,135 cases were identified for compromise.
- 2,270 cases were settled in a single day via e-Lok Adalat.
Assam current affairs 10 july 2020 :
IIT Hyderabad and Nvidia team up for AI research centre
- Nvidia unveiled ‘The Nvidia AI Technology Centre ‘, a technology centre at the Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad that will accelerate research in Artificial Intelligence (AI) and its commercial adoption.
- The collaboration between Indian institute of technology Hyderabad and Nvidia will focus on advancing AI research in the areas of agriculture and smart cities, besides language understanding.
- The projects in the area of increasing crop yield using AI algorithms, applying AI-based solutions to support safer transportation systems and better ways of managing traffic, will be taken up.
Assam current affairs 11 july 2020 :
Central Govt to set up Bamboo Industrial Park in Dima Hasao
- The Central government has decided to set up the first Bamboo Industrial Park in the Northeast in Dima Hasao district of Assam for tapping the immense potential of bamboo sector of the locality.
- The park on completion will cover an area of 75 hectares, would contribute to the overall economic development of the State apart from developing the bamboo-based industries.
- The Bamboo Industrial Park would immensely benefit the bamboo growers of the State which has come close on the heels of Assam Govt’s Bamboo and Cane Policy.
- DoNER ministry has taken at the initiative for setting up this Bamboo Industrial Park.
Assam current affairs 12 july 2020 :
Central grant of Rs 631 crore released to Assam
- The Centre has released the fourth tranche of the Post Devolution Revenue Deficit Grant equated monthly instalment amounting Rs 6,195 crore Assam and other 13 states.
- The Centre released advance payments of over 631 crore rupees to Assam.
- Other states which received the grant were Kerala (Rs 1,276 crore), Himachal Pradesh (Rs 952 crore), Punjab (Rs 638 crore), Andhra Pradesh (Rs 491 crore), Uttarakhand (Rs 423 crore) and West Bengal (Rs 417 crore).
- As per the recommendation of the 15th Finance Commission, equal instalments of the grant have been issued by the Centre to the states since April 2020.
- The grant will assist the states to take preventive and mitigation measures for containment of the COVID-19 and these funds can be used to cover the cost of consumables, and purchase of personal protection equipment (PPE) for healthcare, municipal, police and fire authorities, besides purchase of medical equipments.
Manipur’s Gyanendro Ningombam elected as new President of Hockey India
- Gyanendra Ningombam has been elected unanimously as Hony President of Hockey India. Gyanendra is a resident of Imphal East district, the septuagenarian Hockey lover has long been associated with Hockey promotion in Manipur for the last four decades.
- He is instrumental in producing eminent international class hockey players from the state. He also served as General secretary of the earstwhile Manipur Hockey Association, and presently Senior Vice president of Manipur Hockey and also of Hockey India.
Assam current affairs 13 july 2020 :
‘Ypthimawatsoni’ butterfly discovered in Tripura
- A team of wildlife researchers has rediscovered ‘Ypthimawatsoni’ butterfly commonly known as ‘Looped three-ring’ after 61 years near a village in Jampui Hills under the North Tripura district of Tripura.
- Researchers constantly survey the butterflies in North-East India to document current populations, distributions, and status of butterflies for the past five years.
- Looped Three-ring Ypthimawatsoni, 1893 belonging to subfamily Styrene and family Nymphalidae of insect order Lepidoptera has not been recorded for approximately 61 years since it was last seen in the year 1958 in Manipur.
- This rediscovery is also important in the context of updating the status and distribution of the butterfly fauna for Tripura.
Assam current affairs 14 july 2020 :
Arunachal Pradesh filmmaker Kezang D Thongdok bagged the Dada Saheb Phalke Award 2020
- Kezang D Thongdok, a filmmaker, documented the process of honey hunting has bagged the Dadasaheb Phalke Award 2020.
- Kezang D Thongdok’s short documentary ‘Chi Lupo’ artfully sketches the custom of honey hunting practised in the Shertukpen community wherein ‘Chi’ means honey and ‘Lupo’ means hunters.
- Thongdok’s attempt to depict and preserve the age-old tradition of honey hunting amongst the Shertukpens bagged him the prestigious Dada Saheb Phalke Award this year.