Assam Current affairs : In today’s daily Assam Current affairs season we will discuss about the recent development about jadav payeng.
• On a special invitation, India’s forest-man will go to Mexico in September 2021.
• Maxico granted him 10 years Visa to help the north american country Maxico to become more greener.
• He will be in Mexico for three months every year. September, October and November are the ideal months in Mexico to plant a tree.
• jadav Payeng recently struck a deal with a Mexican NGO, Fundación Azteca, to collaborate on environmental projects in the North American country.
Who is Jadav Payeng?
• Jadav “Molai” Payeng (born 1963) is an environmental activist and forestry worker from Majuli Island popularly known as the Forest Man of India.
He was born in the indigenous Mising tribe of Assam.
• Over the course of several decades, he has planted and tended trees on a sandbar of the river Brahmaputra turning it into a forest reserve.
• The forest, called Molai forest after him is located near Kokilamukh of Jorhat, Assam, India and encompasses an area of about 1,360 acres / 550 hectares.
• In 2015, he was honoured with Padmashri, the fourth highest civilian award in India.
His work :
• The forest, which came to be known as Molai forest, now houses Bengal tigers, Indian rhinoceros, and over 100 deer and rabbits.
• Molai forest is also home to elephants and several varieties of birds, including a large number of vultures.
• Bamboo covers an area of over 300 hectares.