Assam Current affairs for Apsc : In todays daily Assam Current affairs season we will discuss about the new appointment of Election commisioner of india.
• The Union government on Tuesday appointed Anup Chandra Pandey, a retired IAS officer of the 1984 batch, Uttar Pradesh cadre, as Election Commissioner.
• Pandey has been appointed to the position left vacant by former Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora’s retirement on April 12.
About the Election Commission of India:
• The Election Commission of India (ECI) is an autonomous constitutional authority responsible for administering Union and State election processes in India.
• The body administers elections to the Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, and State Legislative Assemblies in India, and the offices of the President and Vice President in the country.
Appointment & Tenure of Commissioners:
• The President appoints CEC and Election Commissioners.
• They have a fixed tenure of six years, or up to the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
• They get the same status and receive salary and perks as available to Judges of the Supreme Court (SC) of India.
Removal of Election commisioner :
• They can resign anytime or can also be removed before the expiry of their term.
• The CEC can be removed from office only through a process of removal similar to that of a SC judge by Parliament.
Powers of ECI:
• To determine the territorial areas of the electoral constituencies throughout the country on the basis of the Delimitation Commission Act of Parliament.
• To prepare and periodically revise electoral rolls and to register all eligible voters.
• To grant recognition to political parties and allot election symbols to them.
• Election Commission ensures a level playing field for the political parties in election fray, through strict observance by them of a Model Code of Conduct evolved with the consensus of political parties.