Assam Current affairs 2021 : In todays daily Assam Current affairs season we will discuss about the topic ” Six Indian places added to tentative list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites ” .
• Six Indian sites, including the temples of Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu, the Ganga ghats in Varanasi, and the Satpura Tiger Reserve in Madhya Pradesh, have been added to the tentative list of UNESCO’s world heritage sites.
• The submissions were made by Archaeological Survey of India, which is responsible for the conservation and preservation of Indian monuments.
• The six sites are namely Satpura Tiger Reserve, Iconic riverfront of the historic city of Varanasi, Megalithic site of Hire Benkal, Maratha Military Architecture in Maharashtra, Bhedaghat-Lametaghat in Narmada Valley- Jabalpur, and temples of Kanchipuram.
6 Shortlists places :
• Satpura Tiger Reserve in MP
• Iconic Riverfront at Varanasi in UP
• Hire Benkal, a megalithic site in Karnataka
• Maratha military architecture in Maharashtra
• Bhedaghat-Lametaghat in Narmada Valley, Jabalpur MP
• Temples of Kanchipuram in Tamil Nadu
What is UNESCO’s World Heritage Site ?
• A UNESCO WHS is a place that is listed by UNESCO for its special cultural or physical significance.
• United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) aims to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity.
MCQ Question related to this topic :
Q) Which of the following statement is not true about Ajanta caves?
A. Ajanta caves were tagged as the UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1983.
B. Currently, these caves are taken care of by the Archeological Survey of India.
C. The general style of paintings at The Ajanta caves seems to have influenced paintings in Tibet and Srilanka.
D. Ajanta caves were excavated between the 12th century and 16th centuries.
Ans – D
Q) Which of the following cities entered the Indian list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the Cultural category in 2020?
(D) None of these
Ans – B) Jaipur